This workshop is designed to help interpreters working into English “B” to develop repertoire, strategies, and reactions through interpreting and public speaking exercises. It will cover:
• English enhancement, with a focus on register and culturally sensitive language.
• Specific “retour” skills, such as analysis of mother tongue as a passive language, elaboration, and simplification for ease of comprehension, strategic use of intonation, “plan B” prioritisation, and coping strategies to avoid paralysing perfectionism.
• A refresher of core interpreting skills, starting with analysis and deverbalisation, to avoid auto-pilot and lexical and syntactic
Trainer: Matthew Perret interprets for the European Parliament; writes and performs comedy and theater; and trains conference
interpreters. Being a sought-after trainer for international organizations and AIIC training worldwide, Matthew has also taught regularly in
Asia and to interpreters with native Asian languages.
When: Full day, Saturday, Aug 26
Where: Shinjuku, Tokyo. On-site only
Participants: 30 at maximum. First-come-first-served. All “A” languages are welcome, preferably at least two participants per language.
• Early bird discount: AUD 275 for AIIC members who register and pay by June 30th.
• AUD 300 for AIIC members, candidates, and precandidates
• AUD 350 for non-members